beginning of content:

If your child has a documented disability that could affect their ability to take a test, they may be eligible to receive accommodations when they take a College Board test.

Common accommodations include braille or large-print exam booklets, more time to test, longer or additional breaks, and using a computer to write essays.

Fast Facts

  • Students must get approval from the College Board Services for Students with Disabilities before they can use accommodations while taking AP Exams or the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, or PSAT 10.
  • Working with your child’s school is the fastest and easiest way to request accommodations.
  • Request accommodations early. The approval process can take up to 7 weeks. See deadlines for accommodations requests.
  • Most students already approved to use an accommodation by their school will be approved by the College Board
  • If your child is approved for an accommodation for one College Board test, they’ll be approved to use it for all College Board tests.
  • Not all disabilities require accommodations for College Board tests, and not all school testing accommodations are appropriate for College Board tests.

How to Know If Your Child Is Eligible

In general, we’ll approve a reasonable testing accommodation for your child if the following are true:

  1. They have a documented disability. Examples of documentation include doctors’ reports and psychoeducational evaluations.
  2. The disability affects their ability to take a College Board test. A visual impairment may qualify. A walking impairment may not.
  3. The specific accommodation is needed. Some disabilities may call for extra breaks; others won’t.

If your child is already approved by their school to use an accommodation on other tests, they’ll probably (but not necessarily) be approved to use them on College Board tests. You’ll still need to submit an official request.

Read More About It
Who is Eligible?
Typical Accommodations
Student & Family Tips

How to Document a Disability

Different disabilities may require different documentation. In general, you’ll need to provide documents that show that your child has a disability and that they need the specific accommodation you’re requesting. Even if your child has a doctor’s notes or an individualized education program (IEP), you’ll need to provide more information.

The easiest way to make sure you have the correct documentation is to work with the SSD coordinator at your child’s school. They’ll help you navigate the accommodations process and make sure you have the correct documentation.

SSD coordinators are also the only ones who can request accommodations online, which can make the approval process move faster.

Read More About It
Providing Documentation
Disability Documentation Guidelines
Accommodation Documentation Guidelines

Frequently Asked Questions