To help make college more affordable for students from all backgrounds and skill levels, we’ve created a scholarship program for high school juniors and seniors.
The College Board Opportunity Scholarships program guides students through the college planning process and gives them multiple chances to earn money for college along the way.
All they need to get started is to create a free College Board online account and join the scholarship program.
- The high school class of 2020 is the first group of students eligible to participate in the Opportunity Scholarships program. In December 2019, students in the class of 2021 will also be eligible.
- Students in later graduating classes will become eligible in December of their junior year.
- There are no income requirements, application forms, essays, or minimum GPAs needed to earn a scholarship.
- There are 6 different steps students can take to be eligible to earn $500–$2,000.
- When a student completes all 6 steps, they could earn a $40,000 scholarship.
Six Steps to College—and Scholarships
Here are the six steps your child needs to complete to be eligible for the $40,000 Complete Your Journey scholarship. With each step your child completes along the way, they also become eligible for smaller monthly scholarships, worth between $500 and $2,000.
- Build Your College List: $500
Your child goes to BigFuture and makes a list of 6 colleges they’re interested in.
- Practice for the SAT: $1,000
Your child practices for the SAT with Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy® for 6 or more hours.
- Improve Your Score: $2,000
Your child practices for the SAT with Official SAT Practice for at least 12 hours, takes the SAT, and gets a total score that’s 100 points higher than their previous PSAT/NMSQT or SAT score.
- Strengthen Your College List: $500
Your child makes sure their list of colleges includes 3 safety, 2 match, and 1 reach.
- Complete the FAFSA: $1,000
Your child submits the FAFSA, the free application to get financial aid from the government.
- Apply to Colleges: $1,000
Your child applies to at least 2 colleges.
Each March, we’ll hold a drawing to choose the recipients of the $40,000 Complete Your Journey scholarship from the group of students who’ve completed all six steps.
What You Can Do: Remind Your Child
A few gentle reminders from you may be all it takes to get your high school junior or senior on the path to a $40,000 college scholarship.
Remind your child to:
- Set up a free College Board online account.
- Opt in to the College Board Opportunity Scholarships Program.
- Visit BigFuture, and make a list of colleges.
- Create a free Khan Academy account, and link it to their College Board account.
- Use Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy to practice for the SAT.
- Take the SAT–and take it again!
- Have a mix of safety, match, and reach colleges on their list.
- Submit the FAFSA.
And finally, what all this effort is leading up to:
- Apply to at least 2 colleges.