beginning of content:

You should get in touch with the financial aid office at each college your child’s applying to. Let them know what's changed—whether it's the loss of a job, unexpected medical expenses, another child starting college, or anything else that affects your family's finances—as soon as possible. The college may be able to make an adjustment to your child's financial aid award.